By Greg Gomez
Yo! Coach Greg here! Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy day to get inspired!
How’s 2017 going for you so far? If life isn’t going as you imagined; Training sessions lacking their usual kick, personal issues at an all-time high, life not feeling all that special as of late. Take a deep breath, Exhale….We’ve all been there.
Sometimes you have to first die a little on the inside in order to be reborn and rise again as a stronger, smarter version of yourself. Nobody gets through life without several setbacks and disappointments, and it is these challenges that make us stronger and eventually move us toward future opportunities for growth and happiness.
Speaking from personal experience in dealing with a nagging knee injury to taking a month off from work to make sure my wife gets the best medical care possible. Life is chock-full of curveballs, keep reading below to make sure you never strike out on the opportunity to learn from adversity.
Below are five gems to keep in your back pocket whenever negativity begins to holler at you:
- You will fail sometimes– The faster you accept this, the faster you can get on with being brilliant. You’ll never be 100% sure it will work, but you can always be 100% sure doing nothing won’t work. Doing something and getting it wrong is at least ten times more productive than doing nothing. So get out there and try! Either you succeed or you learn a vital lesson. Win – Win.
- Distance yourself from negative people – Every time you subtract negative from your life you make room for more positive ones. Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you. Let go of negative people, for they are the greatest destroyers of self-confidence and self-esteem. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you.
- You still have a lot to be thankful for– Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of brave people who are overcoming it. Sometimes you have to forget what’s gone, appreciate what still remains, and look forward to what’s coming next. Henry David Thoreau once said, “Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.” Even when times are tough, it’s always important to keep things in perspective. You didn’t go to sleep hungry last night. You slept on a warm bed last night. You had a choice of what clothes to wear this morning. You had a great workout session at BRICK or another gym today. You have access to clean drinking water. You have access to medical care. You have access to the Internet. You can read. Some might say you are incredibly wealthy, so remember to be grateful for all the things you do have.
- Even when it’s hard to move, take small steps forward– Especially in trying times, it’s important to continuously push yourself forward. Because momentum is everything! As long as you keep the momentum positive – even if you’re moving at a snail’s pace – you’ll eventually get to the finish line. So celebrate every step you take today, no matter how small. Because every step will lead you farther away from where you were yesterday and closer to where you want to be tomorrow. Be it a better life or a dream we long to realize, we reach our destinations by taking many, many small steps in the same direction, one at a time.
- If you ask negative questions, you will get negative answers – There are no positive answers to, “Why me?” “Why didn’t I?” “What if?”, etc. Would you allow someone else to ask you the demoralizing questions you sometimes ask yourself? I doubt it. So stop and swap them for questions that push you in a positive direction. For instance, “What have I learned from this experience?” “What do I have control over?” “What can I do right now to move forward?”
Moving forward, the aforementioned five points will prove to keep you in check whenever you feel less than powerful. Remember to surround yourself with human beings who uplift you and provide comedic relief on a daily basis!
You Got This!
Positive Over Negative!